Ontario County Public Health partners with the New York State Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to prevent injury and illness and to promote health in Ontario County. Health data is shared between these organizations to develop, implement, and evaluate public health programming.
New York State Department of Health
Prevention Agenda 2013-2017: NY State's Health Improvement Plan
New York State's Health Improvement Plan focuses on five areas.
- Prevention of chronic diseases
- Promotion of healthy and safe environments
- Promotion of healthy women, infants, and children
- Promotion of mental health and prevention of substance abuse
- Prevention of HIV, sexually transmitted diseases, vaccine-preventable diseases, and healthcare-associated infections
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The CDC is the nation's disease prevention and wellness promotion agency, protecting people's health and safety, providing credible information to enhance health decisions, and improving health through strong partnerships.
CDC works with its partners around the world to:
- monitor health,
- detect and investigate health problems,
- conduct research to enhance prevention,
- develop and advocate sound public health policies,
- implement prevention strategies,
- promote healthy behaviors,
- foster safe and healthful environments,
- provide leadership and training