Citizens Academy 2020
"The Ontario County Citizens Academy is exciting to me, so that we can share relevant information and help educate individuals about what we do in local government. It is an important step to fulfill our recently adopted Vision and Mission by working closely with our residents to promote our vibrant community". Mary Krause, County Administrator
Citizens Academy Details
- Sessions will be held from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm the following Tuesday evenings: April 14, 2020 - May 19, 2020.
- A light dinner will be served each night.
- Sessions will include a tour of County facilities for the last hour of each week. Facilities include the Ontario County Courthouse, County Transportation Center/Public Works, Ontario County Jail, Records and Archives.
- Hear from subject matter experts on topics that affect you and our community.
- Meet and interact with County leaders. Get questions answered.
- Participation is at no cost, other than your time and enthusiasm. Participants are expected to attend all six sessions.
- Citizens Academy is open to residents of Ontario County 18 years of age and older.
Topics and Panel Discussions
- Overview of County Government
- County Clerk / DMV
- Public Works
- Tourism/Finger Lakes Visitors Connection
- Economic & Workforce Development
- Public Employment/Human Resources
- Public Health
- Mental Health
- Office for the Aging
- Social Services
- District Attorney
- Public & Conflict Defender
- Probation/Alternatives to Incarceration
- Board of Elections
- Sustainability & Solid Waste
- County Budget/Finance
- Real Property Tax
- OnCor & Information Technology
What our Alumni say:
These presentations have been a real eye-opener as to the depth and breadth of the expertise and achievement of Ontario County Government. What a great opportunity for taxpayers to see, hear and touch where their tax dollars go. Well done Ontario County. D. Nather (Class of 2019)
You may think you know Ontario County, but unless you’ve attended Citizens Academy, you have only scratched the surface. Spend 6 weeks in class and you’ll be rewarded with a lifetime’s worth of knowledge. C. Smith (Class of 2019)
The Citizens Academy was a wonderful experience. I learned so much about the County and all the departments that made it up. The speakers were all excellent as were all the tours we were taken on. P. Wirth (Class of 2019)
I had no idea that our County did so much. What a great learning experience! The resources we have in Ontario County are outstanding. C. Alting (Class of 2019)
Online registration is available at the following link www.co.ontario.ny.us/citizensacademy or call the County Administrator’s Office at 585.396.4400. Due to its popularity, early registration is strongly recommended.