Click to Home
Go To Search

How do I obtain a copy of a birth, marriage, or death certificate? 
For birth, death and marriage records, contact the city, village, or town clerk (or registrar) where the record was made and event took place. Marriage records are available from the Town or City Clerk of the municipality where the Marriage License was issued. For contact information please see the 
Municipal Directory. It is rare for a municipality to have birth, death, or marriage records for any period prior to 1882. The New York State Department of Health can also provide certified records to those eligible to receive them. 

How do I get a certified copy of a record?
RAIMS does not have the authority to provide certified copies of any record. Generally, those must be obtained from the department or agency that created the record. The requirements for certification of records are established by state law.

What kind of stuff do you have at the Records Center?
Please refer to the RAIMS Guide for Family and Local History Research and our online Record Indexes.

Is this where I go to obtain a Police or Accident Report? What about Background Checks?
These documents may be obtained at the Records Division of the Sheriff's Office temporarily located at the Ontario County Jail at 3045 County Complex Dr. in the Town of Hopewell, just down the hill from the Records and Archives Center. The direct phone number to the records office is (585)396-4618.

Is this where I submit my Veteran's records for benefits?
No, you will go to the Ontario County Veteran's Service Agency located on the 2nd Floor at 3010 County Complex Drive in the Hopewell County Complex.

Do you have maps?
Yes, a variety of maps are available, including the 1874 and 1904 Ontario County Atlas, that show lot numbers, school districts, and landowners; a 1859 wall map showing landowners, and 1851, 1889 and 1908 maps of Canandaigua with street names and owners. An 1856 map of the Town of Seneca and Geneva Village shows owners. NY State and vicinity in 1822 indicates migration routes. For property tax maps please contact Real Property Tax. Custom maps may also be created by the county. Please see the Planning Department’s GIS Program for more details. 

Are there really cats at the Records Center?
Yes, it all began with an orphaned cat that came to be known as Little Orphan Annie. She was found in the parking lot and was brought here to live and work. For 17 years, Annie served as the Center’s On-Site Rodent Control Officer. Upon her earthly retirement, Annie was replaced with two rescue cats from Happy Tails Animal Shelter named Basil and Bailey, who have been serving as Rodent Control Officers and honorary County Public Relations Officers for over a half a decade now. They spend a lot of time supervising microfilm projects and monitoring the storage areas for pests, but are usually available to welcome visitors.