The Ontario County Office for the Aging assists informal caregivers - spouses, adult children, other family members, friends, and neighbors - in their effort to care for older persons. A Specialist will provide:
- Information about available services and resources
- Assistance in gaining access to services
- Counseling to assist caregivers in making decisions and solving problems related to their caregiving role
- Helpful educational materials related to caregiving issues
The Ontario County Office for the Aging (OFA) offers respite care which provides caregivers a temporary rest from the duties of taking care of someone. Using respite services can support and strengthen your ability to be a caregiver. The respite program involves:
- Four hours of weekly aide service at no cost to the caregiver, although donations are accepted
- The program requires that the caregiver lives with the care receiver
- The person being cared for must either have a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease or dementia or need help with personal care
- Respite aides can help with housekeeping, laundry, and personal care. They can also provide companionship.
Caregiver Support Groups
Education, information, and peer support for caregivers.
Sands Cancer Center Caregiver's Support Group
Second Friday of each month from 10:00 am to 11:30 am
Second Wednesday of the month, 4:00pm
Call (585) 396 - 1010
Alzheimer's Association Support Group
Canandaigua VA Medical Center, Building 8, Room 236
400 Fort Hill Ave., Canandaigua, NY.
First Thursday of the month, 1-2:30 pm
This group is open to the public, you do not need to register.
For more information call, (800) 272-3900
Caregiver Support Group - Facilitated by Lifetime Care
Contact: Adrienne Daniels, Adrienne.firstname.lastname@example.org 585-214-1414
Support group runs on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month at the Wegman's in Canandaigua, from 10:00am-11:30am. The support group is available to all ages and for those dealing with any chronic health issue.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Kinship Navigator is an on-line statewide resource for information and referral where you can access information on laws, legal rights, issues on custody and visitation, eligibility for benefits and entitlement programs, tax credits, respite care and other local services. You can also call their toll-free number at 1-877-454-6463 to speak to a representative.
The New York State Caregiving and Respite Coalition (NYSCRC) is a statewide coalition focused on supporting caregivers, professionals, and providers across New York State.